Hash area, sort area ...

From: <sergey_s_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 21:33:17 GMT

If I change HASH_AREA_SIZE and SORT_AREA_SIZE on a per session basis, is it guaranteed that Oracle will use as much as I have specified? I've been experimenting with these settings and haven't seen an increase in performance. I've tried setting both to almost 20 times higher than what they normally are and still gained almost nothing. My test query involves CRAETE TABLE AS with full table scans of two tables (45 mil rows and 3 mil rows) with a hash join and a group by (8 degrees parallel).

Oracle 8.0.5; 8 procs (400 MZ); 80 Gig memory; RAID 5 (66 disks);

Thank you!
Sergey

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Nov 16 2000 - 15:33:17 CST