data modeling conundrum

From: <bdeneaud_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:27:19 GMT

I need to store large sets of number pairs like 1.01, 0.01; 1.02, 0.02; etc... in my database. I need to store about 400 of these pairs for each parent record. (parent records growing at 100,000 rows a year) How can I store these efficiently and what is the best datatype to use. Would it make sense to store the 400 pairs all as one record in a big long string
of numbers like a varchar(4000)?? or should I create a new record for each pair (which seems like a bad idea, because my table would get very tall and I don't need to search on these number pairs. Or are there other better alternatives.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Nov 16 2000 - 16:27:19 CST