Re: ODBC Heap Error with Win2K and Oracle 8.1.6

From: Christian Rodemeyer <c.rodemeyer_at_dr-staedtler.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:50:07 +0100

<jocave_at_my-deja.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:8uv3ie$lc$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <PfvQ5.69$co4.1118_at_news.easynews.net>,
> "Christian Rodemeyer" <c.rodemeyer_at_dr-staedtler.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > we encounter terrible errors when using Oracle 8.1.6 with Win2K SP1.
 We have
> > the latest patches and the Oracle ODBC Driver 8.1.6.2 installed.
> >
> > Our application is an service with multiple connections. Connections
 will be
> > opened and closed, sometimes there may be more than one connection
 aktive.
> > After closing and opening an connection, the following error occurs
 in the
> > VC6.0 debug output:
> > HEAP[T2Embedded.exe]: HEAP: Free Heap block 1de9b28 modified at
 1dea544
> > after it was freed
> > The error comes from another thread, possibly the oracle driver
 thread.
> > After that, connections work totally instable and unpredictable odbc
 errors
> > will be generated. You can simulate the error with the following
 trivial
> > program:
> >
> > for (;;)
> > {
> > SQLAllocConnect(CODBC_Environment, &m_hdbc);
> > SQLConnect(m_hdbc, ...);
> > SQLDisconnect(m_hdbc);
> > SQLFreeConnect(m_hdbc);
> > Sleep(1000);
> > }
>
> I'm not able to reproduce this problem on my system (WinNT). Does this
> problem appear only on Win2K?

Yes, on NT4.0 SP6a it works fine.

> What version of msvcrt.dll is installed on your system?

Version 6.1.8637.0

Meanwhile we wrote a similar test-app with the VC-Oracle App Wizard and the oracle database classes. We do connects and disconnects (open database / close database) in a loop and to my astonishment no errors occur. The OCI seems to be fine, but it is strange that the same error occurs in the Microsoft Oracle ODBC Driver and the Oracle ODBC Driver.

[...]