Re: Can I download Oracle8 to learn with?

From: Cliff Dabrowski <cliffdw_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 05:19:08 GMT

Claudia,

Follow the link below and order Oracle 8i Release 2 (8.1.6) for Windows NT/2000. This includes the WebDB companion kit but just ignore that if you do not want it. Most important fact is that you will receive the 8i CD for absolutely FREE after you sign up for OTN (also FREE) if you have not done so already.

http://www.oracle.com/start/otn/intro.html?src=134745&Act=20

FYI: Before you ask... I have not tried 8.1.6 on ME so I cannot say definitively whether it works or not but it is worth a try since you can always uninstall and do a regclean to get rid of it later.

P.S. There are NO versions of 8i currently certified for ME. I have heard that the delay in releasing 8.1.7 for the NT platform is partly due to the effort to certify this release for ME but I have no authoritative confirmation.

Hth,

Cliff