Forsing certain execution without hints ...

From: <sergey_s_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:51:01 GMT

What are some of the "tricks" that I could use to influence a certain execution path in Oracle besides using the hints? I know of things like appending a blank string ('') to avoid an index, or doing something "dummy" on an indexed column to force the use of an index (col > 0). What are some other things that can cause Oracle to use indexes, or choose certain join methods, etc (besides the hints)?

I have a group of Cognos users using the visual query builder. If I edit the query manually (by adding hints) then Cognos disables the visual query builder. Noone knows if there is a way to add hints through the visual builder. However, we can add "tricks" in the where or select clauses through the visual builder and not loose the ability to use the visual builder the next time we get into Cognos. So, it's all about the users being able to use their visual builder all the time and at the same time being able to influence the best execution plan.

Thank you!
Sergey

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 15 2000 - 11:51:01 CST