OCI 7.3.x against 8.0.4/8.0.5 server

From: Craig Demyanovich <cdemyanovich_at_keystonesystems.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:11:31 GMT

I've inherited a program that uses the OCI 7.3.x to hit an 8.0.4 server, and the program works well. As a convenience to me, I've been given permission to avoid the hour-long drive to this site provided I can successfully configure a similar environment at my company. I initially created an 8.0.5 server at my company and successfully compiled the program. It fails to connect. I tried creating an 8.0.4 server to use with the program, but the program still fails to connect. The error reported by the program in its log is "Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-00000." I traced the program logic; it behaves like this:

call olog() to connect
olog() fails
write connection failure to log file
call oehrms() to obtain error information write error text to log file // this is the error message quoted above

The OCI is new to me, and I have not been able to ascertain the cause of this error. It's especially frustrating since the program worked at the job site. It seems unlikely to me that the fact that the job site is running Oracle on AIX while I'm running it on NT Server would matter. I find Oracle's web site difficult to use at best, and the documentation for the OCI 7.3.x and the 8.0.x server haven't revealed much. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Craig Demyanovich Received on Tue Nov 14 2000 - 10:11:31 CST