Re: How do i get started as a Jr. DBA

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:41:20 +0000

daniel_mather_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I wanted to try this question out on on this newsgroup,
> because i can expect an unbiased answer. I am an Aerospace
> Engineer who has a serious interest in becoming an Oracle DBA.
> Everytime i talk to an Oracle training center, they always
> want to lure me in to train as a Developer first ($$$), and
> then get some EXPERIENCE, and then come back and take the DBA
> course ($$$) within a few months. Seems like they just want
> the money twofold. I'm no Oracle expert, but i know Developer
> functions have nothing to do with what a DBA does, except for
> the basic SQL, PL/SQL... I have no interest doing Oracle
> applications development - i strictly want to be a DBA.
> I already know UNIX, PERL, and some JAVA fairly well from my
> current work, and have done some programming with them,
> although they were all in an Engineering role - not in an
> Oracle function. Is it wise to just take the Oracle DBA course
> and the OCP tests and start looking for a Jr. DBA job. What
> are the odds of that working out. Thanks for your comments and
> advice!
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

        I have been working with Oracle since the mid 1980s and I have never met a DBA who didn't start off as a developer.

        I don't believe that anyone in their right mind would hire someone as even a Junior DBA who didn't have some first hand experience. As an Aerospace Engineer would you hire as a Junior Engineer someone who doesn't have any background in Math or Aerodynamics or Structural Design?

        If I were you I would get a job as an Oracle developer, educate yourself and/or take formal DBA training courses, get your OCP DBA, and after two years go looking for a job as a Junior DBA. Just look at it as paying your dues.

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one