Re: Oracle Hot Backup of Associated files

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 00:30:04 +0000

dickweisinger_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi,
> Can you please help me?
> How can we best backup data associated with a hot
> backup?
> We have a table that references volume and file
> data. As part of the hot backup, we want to do
> an incremental backup of all files that are newly
> referenced in the incremental hot database backup.
> (Someone added a column to the table with path to
> a file.)
> How can we best do this? If we keep an
> ARCHIVELOG, can we parse the data from that
> file? We may move to RMan in the near future --
> can we read incremental RMan data?
> Thanks
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

        I suspect it would be simpler just to go to RMAN and take advantage of RMAN's ability to do incremental backups. RMAN isn't nearly as difficult to set up as some people would have you believe. Just do some research first and you won't have any problems. (There is an excellent paper on Howard Rogers web site on Backup and Recovery. You should also look into the Oracle Press book on Backup and Recovery).

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one