Re: World's No.1 SQL server!! PostgreSQL defeated Oracle, MS SQLserver, DB2, Sybase, Interbase....!!!!

From: Jonathan Willcock <Jonathan_at_FESoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:36:11 -0000

I think you should be fair here. The pages quoted specifically say that they are not allowed to reveal the names of Proprietary 1 and 2 due to vendor restrictions, not because they don't want to. They do however say Prop 1 version no was 8.1.5 and Prop 2 Version 7.0. Moreover Prop 2 only runs on NT.

No prizes for spotting that Prop 2 is MS SQL Server, and 8.1.5 sounds very like Oracle.

Of course they could be being "economical with the truth" and I have yet to see any database vendor unable to come up with a benchmark that shows it top! I always advise people to devise their own tests simulating as near as possible their own needs. I for one was recently very impressed with MySQL - if you don't need transactions etc. and aren't too concerned with safety, it's certainly quick! But how many customers are not worried about data integrity and uptimes?

In fact I'm currently trying to test Oracle myself for a German client, and have
hit a brick wall. Does Oracle have an AutoIncrement field (i.e an automatically increasing counter)? My German is normally OK but all my docs are in German and I can't guess what the German should be for this! Can anyone help please???

Thanks,

Jonathan