Re: Oracle + Solaris + PC

From: Philip Chee <philip_at_aleytys.pc.my>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 13:24:25 GMT

In article <%FgP5.57$Ur5.5772_at_monger.newsread.com> vmessner_at_bestweb.net writes:

>You can install Oracle on a machine running any version of NT, including
>workstation, so where is the price savings? I believe the free version of
>Solaris does not have all the features of the versions you pay for.

Incorrect. Solaris licences are free for all systems with <= 8 CPUs. The media CD pack is USD 75 and Sun only produce one version. The free/ nonfree versions differ only in the licence conditions not the actual code.

Since you are unlikely to run into an Intel based server running more than 8 CPUs, USD 75 gets you the full Solaris distribution.

So tell me again how much does an unlimited user NT server licence cost?

Philip

 Philip Chee: Tasek Corporation Berhad, P.O.Box 254, 30908 Ipoh, MALAYSIA   e-mail: philip_at_aleytys.pc.my Voice:+60.5.291.1011 Fax:+60.5.291.9932    Guard us from the she-wolf and the wolf, and guard us from the thief,
 þ 20298.91 þ I wrote my own benchmark, my machine is now 500GHz