Re: Which is the best MDAC version?

From: <jocave_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:07:09 GMT

In article <8ueel1$run$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   clucas_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is the best MDAC version, to use with RDO and Visual Basic 5 Vb5
> against a Oracle Database? In terms of performance and stability.
>
> Also, is there an automated, unassisted way to update the MDAC version
> in several hundred PCs in a call center? They have installed an older
> version of MDAC.
>
> Thanks for your ideas!

If you're using RDO, I'll assume that you're using ODBC as well. If you're using either Microsoft's ODBC driver for Oracle, Merant's ODBC driver for Oracle, or some other non-Oracle ODBC driver, the answer will change.

Generally, we recommend that you use the latest MDAC and ODBC driver. Microsoft recently released the 2.6 MDAC and we haven't had time to formally certify our driver with it, so we're suggesting that people use the latest 2.5x MDAC along with the most recent ODBC driver (available from OTN <http://otn.oracle.com/software/index.htm>).

We don't publish performance data, and I'm not sure that we use the MDAC as one of the variables in the data we collect. When we release a driver, it has passed a full suite of functionality tests when used with the current MDAC and Oracle client patchset.

--
Justin Cave - Oracle ODBC Development

Opinions expressed herein are my own and may not reflect those of
Oracle Corporation.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.