Re: Need help: Updating databases with imp

From: Hauke Zuehl <hzuehl_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 13:36:47 GMT

Hi Bert Jan,

In article <8ubk5a$gdh$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   sigdock_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hauke,
>
> if the dumpfile from external database contains all the data you need
> then you can remove the data from youre existing database and import
> the data from the external. The existing and the extarnal database
 will
> then contain the same data. To be on the safe side: I would also make
> an export from the existing database just in case of... ;-)

Hmmmm...sounds as if I can work with triggers. So if a row, that is yet existing, should be inserted through the import the trigger first deletes the row then inserts the new one.

> The IGNORE=Y parameter will cause the import to continue if an error
> occurs while creating a database object. It will, AFAIK, not import a
> row that already exists, since that would violate the primary key, or
> update an existing row.

Ah, well, okay :)

> Another option might be to create a second database with the dumpfile
> and update your existing database through databaselinks and some
 clever
> PL/SQL scripts.

oops....seems to be more work than I thought when I started this morning :)

> h.t.h.

I hope so :)

> BertJan Meinders

Hauke

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 08 2000 - 07:36:47 CST