Need help: Updating databases with imp

From: Hauke Zuehl <hzuehl_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 13:00:53 GMT

Hello folks!

I have to update an existing database during night time. To do this I download the dump-File from an external server and import the file into the database running on our server.

Let's say there is a table with a primary key and a value e.g. article number and a describing text.
Now the article in our database is existing but there is a typo which was corrected and stored in the dump file. After importing the file the wrong article should be corrected.

What is the parameter list for imp to do this or do I have to delete the table first?

I read something about "IGNORE=Y" but is this really the right way?

I hope you understood what my problem is and you have a hint for me :)

Oh, btw: We are running Oracle 8.1.5 on a RedHat Linux system.

Thanks and regards,
Hauke

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 08 2000 - 07:00:53 CST