Re: Accessing Oracle 8i Personal Edition

From: D. & S. Sandmann <CrackerDog_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 15:16:59 GMT

Ok, I tried doing this and it still did not work!

When running "Oracle ODBC 32Bit Test" and I hit the Connect Button. I then click on Machine Data Source. In there I see my entry for "pim" I select that. Then I click OK.

The "Oracle8 ODBC Driver Connect" window pops up. The "Service Name" has "PIM". The "User Name" has "SYSTEM" and I enter the default password, which I have not changed yet, of "manager". I select "OK"which brings up the window I mentioned in my original posting.

I select Yes from that window for getting more suggestions and that states the following (It's LONG):

Either you have not properly set up your datasource, or 32 bit SQL*Net for Win95/NT is required but not installed.

Go to control panel-->ODBC32 (run the ODBC Administrator). In the list of datasources, double click on the datasource that is giving you trouble. Check out the "SQL*Net Connect String" field

If you are using Personal Oracle7, this should be set to "2:" (no quotes, of course)

If you want to connect to a remote database and intend to use SQL*Net version 2, this should be a single word with no prefix (for example "mydb") which corresponds to an alias located in \ORAWIN95\NETWORK\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA or \ORANT\NETWORK\ADMIN\TNSNAMES.ORA that you set up using the "SQL*Net Easy Config" icon.

Note that prefixes such as "x:" or "t:" should not be used unless you are using SQL*Net v1

Before you proceed, this value you entered in the "SQL*NET Connect String" field should first be tested out using ORAWIN95\BIN\PLUS3X.EXE or \ORANT\BIN\PLUS3X.EXE or NETTEST.EXE or TNSPING.EXE. (Don't just run the icon for these programs -- you need to make sure you don't accidentally run a version of the program located in \ORAWIN\BIN which is 16 bit and will not help). Once one of these programs accept the alias, then ODBC applications using a datasource associated with that alias will too. If these programs also get the 3121, forget about ODBC for the time being and concentrate on setting up a sqlnet alias that works with one of these programs.

The other possible cause of the 3121 is that 32 bit SQLNET is not installed.You can make sure of this by looking at files ORAWIN95\ORAINST\WIN95.RGS or ORANT\ORAINST\NT.RGS in a text editor.

Note: 32 bit applications that use 32 bit ODBC that go across the network, require 32 bit Sqlnet for WinNT/Win95. Even if you have 16 bit sqlnet installed in \ORAWIN, this will not help your situation. If you do not have sqlnet installed and your database is not local you will need to order it from Oracle.

If this suggestion does not fix the problem, please go to the ODBCTEST menu and click on HELP->'Advanced ODBC Debugging'.

I have never found the field called "SQL*Net Connect String". So I proceeded to look at the *.RGS files in the Oracle home directory (G:\Oracle\Ora81\ORAINST\*.RGS) to see if the SQLNET had been installed. I found two files there one of them named "Oracle 815 Production.rgs" and another "Oracle 816 Production.rgs", both of which have nothing in them.

Where can you find the 32 bit SQLNET? When I installed Oracle I just let it install the default information. Was there something else I was suppose to do maybe?

Thanks,

David Sandmann

<kanucme_at_notyet.com> wrote in message
> You need to start the listener manually by executing
>
> [ORAHOME]/bin/TNSLSNR.EXE
>
> or if you want you can configure it using the init.ora file, and
> default the tns listener to auto start with the database.
>
> I had the same problem, the original PO8 I had didn't make me do that,
> but they obviously changed things in PO8i.
>

> On Mon, 06 Nov 2000 06:16:05 GMT, "D. & S. Sandmann"
> <CrackerDog_at_bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> >This is my first time trying to setup/use an Oracle database. I have
> >recently downloaded the Oracle 8i Personal Edition. I have installed and
> >created a database called pim.
> >
> >The problem I am having is getting connected with this database through
> >SQL*Plus, Oracle 8i Navigator and Oracle ODBC Test.
> >
> >Every time I try to access it I get the following message popping up on
 my
> >screen:
> >
> >SQLSTATE: S1000
> >Native Error Code: 12541
> >Driver Message: [Oracle}[ODBC][Ora]ORA-12541: TNS no listener
> >
> >I have used other databases but I have never had to set one up on a
 Windows