Multiple Databases under Oracle

From: Geoff Russell <geoff_at_austrics.com.au>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:38:59 +1030

Hi,

I'm evaluating Oracle for use with Austrics transit scheduling software. There are some things I want to do which I can't seem to do easily with Oracle. I suspect I'm trying to do the wrong thing.

I'm used to having at least one set of data for each of our clients, that is one data base (by which I mean
a set of logically coherent data files). With PostgreSQL I say something like:

     createdb client1
     create-tables...
     createdb client2
     create-tables...

I can do this for each client, the createdb statement takes under a second to run. I can then operate on, backup, etc each data base in isolation from all the other client databases.

When I try to create more than one database in Oracle, it takes 10 minutes and uses many Mb. I suspect I
need to create 1 schema or one tablespace per client. Or is there a better way to do this? Basically I want
a logically independent set of tables (the same table structure replicated once for each client) which I can work with by name, but I don't want to buy lots of new hard drives and work heaps of overtime just
to create this set up.

I hope the problem is clear. I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Cheers,
Geoff Russell Received on Sun Nov 05 2000 - 19:08:59 CST