tcp connection to database

From: guido <nospam_at_nospam.no>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 17:33:50 +0100

Hello.

I'm rather new to Oracle, and I just learnt a bit of Pro*C from the Pro*C pdf manual shipped with Oracle 8i. My problem is I can connect to the database if I run the program on the machine where Oracle resides, but I cannot configure the listener (if I have to) to make my program run on another machine (I'm using solaris 7 on both machines).

I already browsed through the pdf manuals I have and the technet site, but there is so much that I can't find what I really need.

I'm trying to use the simplest method, host naming, but I didn't understand very well what I have to.
I tried to call the host machine with the same name as the database I want to connect to (putting an alias in the /etc/hosts file), I tried to put something in the listener.ora, but everything failed, I always get a `ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor'.

I will be very glad if somebody will have explained me what to do. The database hasn't a DBA at the moment, so I cannot ask him, but I can do modification to the configuration of both the machines and the database.

If this is a trivial question and you don't want to waste bandwidth with the reply, please send at least a mail directly to me (my address is at the end of this post). However, I'd like to receive a copy of the mail in any case (even if you post it in the newsgroup), because I read the news very seldom.

Thanks everybody in advance for you time.

Good bye.

Guido Villa (guido*+*labinf.it)

put an @ instead of *+* in my address. Received on Sun Nov 05 2000 - 10:33:50 CST