Re: SQL*Plus

From: Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 08:17:03 -0500

Buck Eskew wrote:

> Thanks for the response!
>
> I searched to see if I had another 'afiedt.buf' file on my harddrive, but
> didn't find one. Also, I couldn't see anything in the glogin.sql file or
> the Registry. It appears as though the 'buffer' is not reading the actual
> afiedt.buf file. I can open the file from within Notepad and it shows my
> revised query, but when I use the EDIT command in SQL*Plus, it brings up the
> previous query.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks

Keep in mind that afiedt.buf is just the default name. The name can be changed to something else - typically by a login.sql or glogin.sql. If you are able to do an EDIT and the current query comes up in notepad then there is some file being created somewhere, even if it isn't afiedt.buf. It "should" be in the current working directory, but there are ways around that if someone has messed with the registry. You might also want to check your c:\windows\temp directory to see if some file is being created there, but that is a long shot.

Enter the command "show editfile" and see what it returns. If it says "afiedt.buf" then that is definitely the file that is being written somewhere.

If you are using sqlplus for windows then you will want to check the shortcut that you are using to start sqlplus. If it has a directory that is explicitly named in the "start in" directory then that is overriding the current working directory.

Determine whether SQLPATH is set somewhere in your environment or in the registry. That will also override the current working directory for certain things, but I've never heard whether it affects afiedt.buf.

Something else to try. Define your editor as something other than notepad and see if that makes a difference. Wordpad would be a good choice, but you can also get any number of plain vanilla text editors from shareware sites.

Those are about the only other things that I can think of.. Received on Fri Nov 03 2000 - 07:17:03 CST