Conn.Execute vs. Command Object w/Oracle & MTS

From: Enzo Maini <maini_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 00:16:18 GMT

I have seen this problem before and it appeared again on this recent project that I am on.

Here is the problem. I have two MTS objects. We will call them objA and objB.

objA calls objB which if the conditions are satisfied, updates a record in a Oracle database.

The developer who first wrote the code used Conn.Execute to run a query like this

"Update tableA Set ColA = "val" Where UserID = 2324"

The command would execute but nothing was updated in the database and not OLE Automation nor ADO errors where recorded. As a matter of fact, I even tried executing this command:

"HOOHA"
Guess what, it accepted it and returned no errors but obviously it was wrong and should have done something.

Ok, after going nuts trying to figure out how I fixed this issue last time it happened I finally remembered that I used an ADO Command object. Using the Command object fixed my problems and several others.

Soooooooo, my question is this -- what is the difference between Conn.Execute vs Command when in an MTS Context? Why does this happen with Oracle only? Could this be an Oracle XA Config problem?

Anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks,

Enzo Received on Thu Nov 02 2000 - 18:16:18 CST