Re: DBMS_PIPE - communication between sessions

From: <support_at_javautil.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 05:28:24 GMT

I would avoid using dbms_pipe for this purpose, if nobody is listening you might block, unless you set
a timeout on your write, with a granularity of a second, which will slow it down, a lot and still not write current state.

Many more problems. dbms_pipe definitely has it's place, but this isn't it.

use dbms_application_info set_module, set_action, set_client_info in your pl/sql procedures.

in your form seach in v$session for the appropriate module.

look in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/dbmsutil.sql for more info.

"Aca Vasic" <acko_at_ni.ac.yu> wrote in message news:8tomj1$m74$1_at_zmaj.etf.bg.ac.yu...
> Hi everobody,
> I'm developing application using Developer 2000 (rel 1.3, Forms 4.5) and
> Oracle database 7.3
>
> I've developed some stored PL/SQL procedure which executes some pretty
 large
> transaction, and it takes few hours to complete. Now, I have a request
 from
> my client to notify the user about transaction progress, i.e. the phase
 that
> transaction is currently in.
>
> I think the best way to do this is to open a new form in the form that
 calls
> stored procedure, using OPEN_FORM (to make a new session) and use
 DBMS_PIPE