Re: Online database....how?

From: atl.mediaone <rmycroft_at_mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 14:26:57 GMT

The SQL Server team has so far done a very good job of sticking with ANSI standards for SQL. Try writing 'INNER JOIN' or 'LEFT OUTER JOIN' in Oracle. It no like (at least up until version 8.1.5 - nee 8i). If they ported the dang thing to UNIX then the issue of being 'open' is somewhat resolved. Like you, I get very concerned about using any MS products due to their nasty little habit of having one tool require the presence of another of their offerings. The only, and I mean only, tool I'd like to use in the future is SQL Server. Their ASP stuff is just the pits, can't stand VB - even though that's how I paid the bills for nearly 4 years - and won't even look at their C/C++ infected with MFC. (God what a piece of garbage MFC is. One of the worst class libraries I've ever had the misfortune to touch.) But, SQL Server is really a pretty clean implementation of a relational system all things considered and performs fairly well.

Rich Mycroft

mikepreece_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <8tp2ap$ng6$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
>Why do you like SQL Server? I hear what you're saying about NT vs *nux.
>I am curious as to why you'd be keen on a port of SQL Server to *nix.
>Didn't SQL Server begin life at Sybase before being ported onto
>Winblows?
>
>Wouldn't it be better to go with a dbms that is more open - able to run
>on NT as well as *nix? There would have to be *significant* benefits to
>warrant locking oneself into a M$ offering, imho.
>
>Ditto re: Access.
>
>Regards,
>Mike.
>
>I agree about AIn article <z1vL5.11883
>$G95.4027671_at_typhoon.southeast.rr.com>,
> "atl.mediaone" <rmycroft_at_mediaone.net> wrote:
>> Hmmm, so this is a plus only running on Winders? Having right now a
>> position where I'm running several boxes remotely (at least most of
 the
>> time) that are at the moment running NT - and no I'm not going to
 hand out
>> the URL so all the hackers can test all those marvelous
 security 'features'
>> of NT - and I'll tell you point blank I'd like nothing better than to
 get
>> the h__l off of NT. It is very much a pain in the rear trying to do
 remote
>> admin activities with it. And God bless those idiots from Redmond for
>> including that stupid registry idea. With Linux or any version of
 UNIX I've
>> met you tend to have config files - 99% of the time ASCII format -
 that by
>> God you can edit and then ftp to your server and restart the needed
 daemon.
>> No need for the magic of reboot every damn time you change
 something. I've
>> run web sites with a mix of OS'es and the machines that gave us the
 most
>> grief were the blasted NT boxes. The Linux boxes never, and I mean
 never,
>> crashed on software errors. And even though I happen to like SQL
 Server in
>> general, been with it since 4.21, just because it is not available on
>> anything but NT it's going to get the boot. and yes, I do indeed
 have the
>> authority to make that happen and it will. I'm actually hoping that
 MS gets
>> broken up precisely so the possibility of SQL Server getting ported
 to UNIX
>> becomes more likely than hell freezing over.
>>
>> I won't even begin to get into 'our favorite database, Access' - if
 that's
>> your top pick then you're no dba.
>>
>> Rich Mycroft
>>
>> Larry Linson wrote in message <8tl18b$fjn$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...

 We