Re: Advice on Learning Oracle?

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 15:41:30 GMT

In article <JerL5.375900$i5.6111462_at_news1.frmt1.sfba.home.com>,   "Lamar Thomas" <lamart_at_home.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to learn Oracle Database. My company made me an offer
 to stay
> on with them. Among the many other offers they made, they offered to
 send
> me to an Oracle class and let me learn Oracle for personal/career
 growth. I
> am not a programmer (however I do understand the concepts, I work for
> software company and have read a book or two). I also have read a
 book on
> MS Access and have taken an Access class at our local college. I am a
> Network Administrator and I am Microsoft Certified.
>
> I just wanted to know what is a GOOD book for a beginner so I can
 read it
> before I take a class. The way I look at it is if I learn the basics
 on my
> own, then I can have the company pay for an intermediate class. They
 are
> also paying for a UNIX/Linux class that I start tomorrow. Thanks for
 your
> help.
>
> Regards

The text I teach from is "Oracle 8i: The Complete Reference" from Oracle Press. It covers, quite well, the concepts and skills needed to effectively interact with an Oracle instance. Also provided with the book is the "On-line Reference" that you can install on your PC and have a ready reference available.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/