Re: Oracle PE on Windows ME ?

From: <sandman434_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 03:24:32 GMT

Check this out...found it on Oracle Technet and it worked for me.

Oracle 8.1.5 Personal Edition
Oracle does not support installing version 8.1.5 PE into
Windows Millennium.
As an unsupported workaround, you may add the following line
to the [compatibility95] section of win.ini prior to
installation:
Jrew=0x00080000

After setup is complete, Oracle will recommend a reboot.
There is one additional step necessary prior to reboot;
Oracle may add a non-standard path statement to the
autoexec.bat file. Please modify this SET PATH statement to use short-filenames if you find a quoted
LFN string represented as part of the path. You can
confirm that the path was merged successfully into the
registry after reboot by examining the PATH variable
in the registry at
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManag er\Environment

Symptoms of a missing Oracle path statement in the registry are that Net8 Easy Config will not launch.

Please note that Oracle does not support the use of this
product in Windows ME, but have authorized these workarounds
for testing purposes only.

In article <QIhK5.55$We3.2884_at_news.hananet.net>,   "Lee Kyoung Rok" <tunnel_at_hananet.net> wrote:
> PE of Oracle 8.1.6 are not certified for
 Windows ME.

> "Steve Cholerton" <stevechol_at_freeuk.com> wrote
 in message

> > Does anybody knwo how to install Oracle
 Personal Edition on Windows
> > ME? I have just taken delivery of a new
 laptop which came with ME
> > preinstalled, however 8.1.6 Release 2
 Personal Edition the install
> > fails just after you have input the

 destination and source details.

> > I have also tested this on a second WinME
 machine at work, same
> > problem, Win98 however is fine. Have
 microsoft changed something
> > crucial ? Is there a workaround? I have
 reported this to Oracle who
> > are looking into it for the next release of
 8.1.7.

> > I will be testing the Oracle Client Install
 tonight and hope the same
> > problem does not occur ...
> >
> > Any help appreciated - Steve

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 30 2000 - 21:24:32 CST