Re: Database wont shutdown?

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:18:34 GMT

In article <8tcisp$3er$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Paul Bennett <spacey845_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <972669635.13350.2.pluto.d4ee154e_at_news.demon.nl>,
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> > There are three flavors of shutdown :
> > normal
> > immediate
> > abort
> > The default is normal. A normal shutdown will wait until all
 connected
> > processes have disconnected (which may take forever, if someone goes
 on
> > holiday and doesn't disconnect)
> > Immediate will disconnect all processes gracefully, ie any
 outstanding
> > transactions will be rolled back.
> > Abort is comparable to turning the power switch.
> > In normal cases immediate is to be preferred, unless you take the
 database
> > down for upgrade, during which you shouldn't take any risk.
> > Issues like this are discussed in the Server Administrators Manual.
> >
> > Hth,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
> >

> Hi,
>
> Thanks, that's exactly what I beleived. However, there are (AFAIK)
 any
> other processes running on that instance. I've even tried stopping
 the
> listener before shutdown and it doesn't seem to make any difference.
> only have an 8i set of manuals immediately available, but I'll
 continue
> to dig around and see whether I can find Oracle 7 manuals, and see
 what
> they have to say.
>
> In the interim, could anyone tell me a relatively simple and painless
> way to check what processes Oracle thinks are running? The only other
> two machines that even try to connect to this server were cleanly
> logged off and powered down.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ---
> Pb
> My opinions are my own and should not be taken as
> representing any other group or entity.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

select sid, serial#, osuser, program, terminal, spid from v$session s, v$process p
where s.type = 'USER'
and p.addr = s.paddr
/

The spid is the Unix pid (so you can use kill -9) or the NT thread numbe (so you can use the orakill utility) to get rid of those processes.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply