Re: Database wont shutdown?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 19:40:06 +0200

There are three flavors of shutdown :
normal
immediate
abort
The default is normal. A normal shutdown will wait until all connected processes have disconnected (which may take forever, if someone goes on holiday and doesn't disconnect)
Immediate will disconnect all processes gracefully, ie any outstanding transactions will be rolled back.
Abort is comparable to turning the power switch. In normal cases immediate is to be preferred, unless you take the database down for upgrade, during which you shouldn't take any risk. Issues like this are discussed in the Server Administrators Manual.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA