Re: Oracle DBA Certification - Should I get it?

From: greg bates <grbates_at_tamu.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 01:47:21 -0500

The simple answer is YES if you have the ability to take the tests DO IT if you use any sort of RESUME service and they are looking for an OCP your name wont pop up unless you have the cert. (paper or experienced) without it
there wont be nearly as many doors open for you. as for the money 60K IMHO is where OCPs should start at regardless of area. I might add that a company that can "afford" a decent oracle license and server can afford to pay an OCP.
the tests arent that easy (I failed the first test, the first time) they arent as simple as the microsoft tests
where anyone with point and click experience can fake it (I was humbled thinking i could waltz into it)
without the piece of paper your destined to stay below 50k

Greg Bates, MCP

"Dave A" <dave_and_vanna_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:svfar37rula223_at_corp.supernews.com...
> I think any talk of money should reference geographical location. 100K in
> California buys about the same as 35K in the midwest.
>
> That said, 45-50K is "normal" < 1year experience wage in Wisconsin. more
> than 1 but less than 3 years =50-70K and over 3 years 60-90K.
>
> Of course, there are exceptions on both the high and low end. Different
> industries pay differently as well.
>
> Consulting pays more in most cases.
>
> I personally make 200K a year, get 100 days of paid vacation each year and
> get a 30% bonus at year end.
>
> Whaa..huh...wher am .... oh, excuse me, I must have fallen asleep for a
> second and I had this really great dream, now what was I saying?
>
> --
> Dave A
>

> "Chris Boyle" <cboyle_at_no.spam.hargray.com> wrote in message
> > 40 50k with 3 years experience? I know of a DBA with NO oracle
 experience
> > that got 73K. Realistically with 2-3 years experience 80k is not out of
> > reach. In my opinion the certification is not nearly as important as
 the
> > experience. Its great to have on your resume to impress the HR folks
 but
> > the IT clan won't be impressed if you only have book knowledge.
> > Alan Pham <avanpham_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Oracle DBA in LA are making very good money about 40-50K with minimum
 of
 3
> > > years of experience.
> > >
> > > chuck <Chuck_at_mail.com> wrote in message
 curious
 about
 have
 MBA