Re: Report Generation: Excel or Oracle?

From: <spider_templar_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 07:30:07 -0000

There is a new program out (currently in beta testing) that will convert Oracle to SQL, SQL to Oracle, SQL to Access, Access to SQL, .... Basically, it can convert any ODBC OLE db to any other one. It will also guide you through any conversions that are necessary. (i.e., sql doesn't support the memo field).

It is called Schemer Advanced. It can be downloaded at:

http://www.appligator.com/products/Schemer/moreSchemer.asp

If you have an exiting Access or oracle db. Create a customer connnection or use an existing ODBC System DSN that you already have on your machine.

Schemer will show you the tables of that database. Simply right click on the table that you want to copy, select copy, then click on the database that you want to paste the table in and click paste. That's it. it will convert it for you.

I have used Schemer and thoroughly enjoy it. I haven't used the Oracle tool. However, we use Schemer at work primarily because it is so flexible. We deal with Access, SQL 7.0, and some Oracle. Schemer lets us manipulate all three db's in one program. Part of my job is to run some queries from the different databases and produce some reports. What used to take me about 3 hrs (queries copied to excel then turned into a report) before, I can now do in less than 15 minutes. I just tell Schemer to export my results as an HTML pages. Done..   We are still in the free 30 day trial period for the program (which is nice), but like it so far.

spider_templar
spider_templar_at_mindspring.com