Newbie Help badly needed ... ;)) !!! Oracle8 vs ODBC vs Access

From: Martin <mart.ad_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 19:46:59 +0200

Hello List,

I am a student from germany ... and work part-time for a company .. ;) Well ... We have Oracle8i running on a Sun Ultra1 and I was told to adapt some minor Access Databases to it.. ;)

Hm... I managed to install & configure Oracle8... and to establish a connection to a PeeCee with WinNT4 and Access. I linked a test database, I have created with sqlplus .. .;) and extended it with some tables, generated in Access ... Pretty simple stuff so far .. isn't it?

However .. After I exported this database to Oracle, I was not able to find any table from my Access-generated-tables in the database ... ;).

So I generated a second Database and imported the whole Database into Access .. ;) And .. all of the formerly-access-tables were there.;) In perfect condition.....

My problem:
I need access to Access tables, which are to be exported to Oracle .. . Hm... how can I accomplish that .. .I dont really have a clue .. since I am still fresh to this kind of business .... ;)

BTW: All work has been done logged in as "Scott" "Tiger" .. it was just performed for demonstartion purposes ...;) We will re-install the system clean and import our databases of course later ... should I ever be able to deliver the proof, that this can be done .. ;))))

Please folks, help me on this one .. ;) I have already spent over 100 $ on Books for it .. and it didn't really help me out.

I have been looking for this tables via Sqlplus in the following way .. : select table_name from user_tab_columns; .... I even looked as DBA ...;) But nothing worked ... If this is kinda of a stupid question ... please forgive me ...(but help me .. ;-) )

Cheers,
Martin

P.S. : But It's a hell of an interesting piece of software .. ;)))) Received on Mon Oct 23 2000 - 12:46:59 CDT