Re: Alternate keys.

From: Frank <frankbo_at_interaccess.nl>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 12:18:59 +0200

That makes the example even better: I doubt there's no one else by the name or Litchfield.
Or Bortel, for that matter - so, you will have to add more data to make sure you can still
identify the one person you are referring to. Add firstname, date of birth and address.
That should make things pretty unique. But: that is not easy to maintain: it's easier to
use a (unique) number instead. (And call that SSN, or whatever). But the fact remeains, that in datamodelling the combination of first name, last name,
birthdate and -address is unique. And therefor an alternate key to SSN (which
would be referred to as technical key)

--
Frank
Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> schreef in