Re: How to tune "redo log space request"?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:48:56 +0800

Luca Minudel wrote:

> I've tried to increase log_buffer but nothing changed.
> I've tried to increase redo log files number but nothing changed.
> I've tried to increase redo log files size and I've got less frequent "redo log space requests" but the total "redo log space wait time" was quite the same.
>
> > You're always going to get some space waits during a log switch -
> You mean that it's not a performance problem having "redo log space requests"?
>
> > speeding up your log switches may be a better option...
> How can I do that?
>
> Thanks!
> ______________________________________
> Luca Minudel software designer
> Italy Conegliano (TV)
> e-mail luca.minudel_at_nline.it
> http://www.geocities.com/luca_minudel
>
> Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> scritto nell'articolo <39F10997.7263_at_yahoo.com>...
> > Michael Bialik wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi.
> > > Try increasing log_buffer to 1048576 ( 1Mb ).
> > >
> > > HTH. Michael.

> > Whilst this lower the redo space statistics, it will probably increase
> > log file sync times as well as making the performance of the LGWR much
> > more sporadic...
> >
> > You're always going to get some space waits during a log switch -
> > speeding up your log switches may be a better option...

If you have redo space requests that are NOT associated with log switches, then this can be considered a problem...

Some very simple things which will assist greatly are:

  1. Separate your logfiles away from anything else - ideally each log file on a separate disk.
  2. Make them raw

HTH

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Early to bed and early to rise,
 makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise." - some dead guy