Re: Regarding CLOB data type

From: Lee Kyoung Rok <tunnel_at_hananet.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 23:22:04 +0900

CLOB is new feature of Oracle8 server.

SQL> insert into <tablename>

   2> values (empty_clob());
SQL> declare

         temp varchar2(100);
         tmp_clob clob;
         begin
             temp := 'Hi there';
             select clobcolumn into tmp_clob from <tablename> where id = 1
             for update;
             dbms_lob.write(tmp_clob, length(temp),1, temp);
             commit;
         end;
         /

You must use empty_clob() when insert and change its value in PL/SQL block. DBMS_LOB package used for manipulating LOBs and must use 'select ... for update' clause for locking rows.