Re: Oracle 8.1.6 on Linux start

From: Lambert van der Bruggen <lbruggen_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 23:18:03 +0200

"Terry Steyaert" <steyaert_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8skbrn$r2a$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> In the /etc directory, you will find a file called oratab. This file
> gives the list of databases to automatically startup. If you change
> the last character in the file from N to Y, you can just type dbstart
> and the database(s) will start.
>
> Otherwise, you can go into svrmgrl and type startup database_name;.

I had same problem with starting Oracle on Linux. The dbstart script did not detect the Oracle version which was installed (8.1.6 in my case), so environment variable $VERSION was not set in dbstart. This caused startup error. I just added the appropriate setting manually to this script-file and now dbstart works fine again.

However, I have question too. How can I Linux let dbstart execute automatically during boot? To spare some of you a lot of typing, I don't have any Oracle manual at hand, so can't check documentation.

Thanks.
Lambert Received on Thu Oct 19 2000 - 16:18:03 CDT