Re: Is SET_SQL_TRACE_IN_SESSION one shot?

From: Vaughan Jackson <vaughan_jackson_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 22:24:23 GMT

Ah-ha! I have just realized what has been happening. Perhaps this was obvious to you Michael, but it was definitely a surprise to me: when I move the files, Oracle keeps track of them, and then re-writes them in the new location when I turn SQL trace on again. Impressive!

Thanks,

Vaughan.

In article <8sl3hr$heh$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Vaughan Jackson <vaughan_jackson_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for this idea. However, I have been moving the trace files
> as soon as I turned off tracing, and yet I don't see any new
> trace files being created when I turn the tracing on again.
>
> Could it be that Oracle is somehow getting confused by the absence
> of the files it was previously writing to?
>
> Vaughan.
>
> In article <8skvgf$dqs$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> Michael Bialik <michael_bialik_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > I think that your problem is a bit different:
> > Actually you are turning the TRACE on and OFF, but the results are
> > written to the same trace file ( it's name is based usually on
> > sid/pid ).
> > Restarting the instance forces user to start a new session and as
> > result you get another trace file.
> > Copy your trace file after switching the trace off to another
> > location ( or rename it ) and start the trace again.
> >
> > HTH. Michael.
> >
> > In article <8skrhh$a51$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,
> > Vaughan Jackson <vaughan_jackson_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have been using dbms_system.set_sql_trace_in_session to turn
 tracing
> > > on and off for other user sessions. However, it seems that I can
> > > only turn these traces on and off ONCE. If I want to do it again,
> > > I have to restart the Oracle database.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a workaround?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Vaughan Jackson.
> > >
> > > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > > Before you buy.
> > >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Oct 18 2000 - 17:24:23 CDT