Re: Becoming an Oracle DBA

From: Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 16:03:45 -0400

H_H wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I've been told that it is very hard to find a job as an Oracle DBA if,
> as in my case, you don't have any experience with databases. How hard do
> you think it is to find a job as an Oracle DBA with just the Oracle DBA
> certification and no database experience? Would you exclusively apply for
> DBA positions --and possibly wait a long time until a company decides to
> hire you-- or would you also include other database-related jobs in your
> job search? If so, which job titles would you look for?
>
> Thanks for your help,
> H_H

It helps if you have some solid experience as an Oracle developer before you start applying for DBA positions. I don't know of any employers who would hire someone as a DBA without any experience, but if you are willing to just be a general developer and then work your way into a DBA position then you might have a chance.

Otherwise, consider contracting opportunities as a way of getting experience. You may have to forgo benefits, but it does pay good and you get to gain experience along the way. Received on Tue Oct 17 2000 - 15:03:45 CDT