Re: exp/imp simple question...

From: Atta ur-Rehman <atta707_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 06:51:04 GMT

hi louis,

well suppose you wanna take user X from server S1 to S2. now the easiest way to migrate would be exporting user X from S1 and importing it in S2. The actual IMP/EXP commands could be differet depending on the version of your Oracle server, so we suppose IMP and EXP being the server specific commands for importing and exproting respctively. With these assupmtions let's see how would you do it.

  1. export the user X from S1 by:

  EXP X/passwordforX_at_connectStringForS1 owner=X file=XFromS1.DMP

please note you could also authenticate yourself by any dba's account as well.

2) create user X on S2 with some default tablespace, the tablespace name doesn't has to be the same as it was on S1 for user X

3) improt on the dump file in S2
  IMP X/passwordForXAtS2_at_connectStringforS2 file=XFromS1.DMP full=y

and bang, you've completed the exodus! by the way i assumed both of your servers are of same version. or at least S2 is not a lower version server than S1.

for further gory details of IMP/EXP please refer to Oracle online manual. so happy readings and have a nice one.

hope this helps.

--

getting the meanin' of data...