Re: Question on DBAs

From: VampireD <vampired_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:47:57 GMT

It all depends on two things.

What do you want to get out of it.
And what does you company want to get out of you.

If you have developers around as well as sys admins, you don't need to know either.

Now on another note, what happens if developer says "the database is slow, what is going on". Well this happens alot, and 50% of the time it is the developers fault. Having good "fundemental" knowledge of programming and their language in general will give you an idea of what they are trying to do. This can be invaliable.

As for the OS. Again, do you have a Sys admin? If so, you don't need to know much. But to be honest, there is alot of diffilculty to tell when oracle is performaning bad and when unix is. Both need tuning, without fundemental knowledge of Unix you will be chasing your tail. What happens when the sys admin is out? Then you can't even chase your tail. But then again, 9 out of 10 Oracle DBA's couldn't write a shell script to save their life. The choice is yours. As I said before.

--
Christopher R. Spence
OCP, MCP, MCSE, A+, RAPTOR, CNA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/