Re: Question on DBAs

From: Mark <cdo_at_lambic.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:42:57 GMT

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 15:50:06 -0500, H_H <gucciard_at_Bayou.UH.EDU> almost coherently wrote:
>to what extent should a DBA know Oracle's host operating
>system? What about programming languages (besides SQL)?

As a DBA/Developer, I find it invaluable that I have in-depth knowledge of the Unix operating system. I don't know how people cope without it! A quick shell script to automate something can save you hours.

It's also important to know about the other tools in the Oracle suite, things like exp/imp, SQL*Loader and the built in packages on the server to help in DBA activities. You should also have some familiarity with development tools, such as Forms, to help you aid the developer.

--
Mark Styles - Oracle/Unix developer and DBA
http://www.lambic.co.uk