Re: tnsping, oracle and the oracle listener process

From: Austin Durbin <adurbin_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 06:47:15 GMT

The only real purpose tnsping serves is to determine if the Oracle Listener is up and responding. So, rather than trying to mimic the behavior of tnsping, why not simply attempt to connect to the database and trap the return code if the connect fails. From a pragmatic point of view, this will accomplish the same thing.