Help wanted re 8.1.6 Personal

From: Bill Lathan <ak5k_at_arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 21:07:24 GMT

I downloaded the 8.1.6 personal editions, both for Windows 98 and Windows NT. However, I'm having problems with installing both of them (well, I really want to install only one, but when one fails, I try the other).

I have an AMD 450MHz system set up to boot either Windows 98SE or Windows 2000 using System Commander 2000. First, Windows 98: trying the typical install with this OS either gives me a hang when it's trying to create the database that is part of the product, or this last time, the log indicated that it didn't like a statement in the script to install the DB. Yes, each time I install with Windows 98, I use a Oracle-free C: partition; I simply use Drive Copy to restore a good image of Windows 98 without the Oracle stuff.

On Windows 2000, I get a strange error in the log indicating it's having trouble with something involving Visual Studio. Now I do have VS 6.0 installed. However, the htm doc with the personal edition indicates that the VS portion of Oracle isn't even installed with the typical selection.

So, I'm stumped. It was my hope to get one of these going so that I could learn something about Oracle. Oracle assumes one is a DBA for installation purposes, and unfortunately, all the books refer to older editions due to the time-to-market cycle for publications. Any ideas would be appreciated. Received on Sun Oct 15 2000 - 16:07:24 CDT