Re: how to link to database

From: Avi Abrami <aabrami_at_intersystemsww.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:54:12 +0200

Huaxin wrote:

> Hi, I am using JDBC thin driver to query my Oracle 8i personal
> edition installed on NT box.
>
> Now I just wonder which values to insert for the URL for the driver
> It says to be the form "host:port:sid"
> Suppose my workstation is "carvel.srv.blahblah"
> how can I get the sid of my database (I am newbie, really),
> and what is the port number?
>
> Thanks a lot!

To find out the SID:
If you can connect to the database via SQL*Plus, the following query will give you the SID:

select name from v$database

To find out the port
On the database server host machine, type the following command:

lsnrctl services

Somewhere in the output of that command, you should be able to get the port number.

HTH,
Avi. Received on Thu Oct 12 2000 - 07:54:12 CDT