Very useful parameter - or did I dream it?

From: Andrew Williamson <andrewweb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:04:51 +0100

Hi

I seem to remember while trawling through the Oracle8 init.ora parameters, that I came across something that helps SQL parse/execute ratios up by taking a slightly more 'relaxed' view as to whether a statement is in the cache or not..?

I think its main area of help is where statements are repeatedly called with the same literal and thus we see the same statement in the cache multiple times for users.

eg.

select xxx...yyy from zzz where columna = 'A' and columnb = :b1;
select xxx...yyy from zzz where columna = 'A' and columnb = :b1;
select xxx...yyy from zzz where columna = 'A' and columnb = :b1;

As it stands, because of the literal, this would be parsed each time, right? I thought I saw a parameter that helped ensure it wouldn't be?

[We didn't write the code, it's supplied to us so and we can't change it so for us, bind variables are out in this instance.]

Needless to say, I've had a *damn* good look through the documentation/net again, but I can't find hide-nor-hair of it.

Did I dream it - or perhaps it wasn't in the init.ora?

Anyone?

Andrew Received on Tue Oct 10 2000 - 12:04:51 CDT