Re: Oracle 8i Solaris to Linux Slow Dbassist

From: Warren Spencer <wspencer_at_ap.nospam.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:18:24 -0000

gcaulton_at_sympatico.ca (Greg Caulton) wrote in <39E27183.C190AB52 @sympatico.ca>:

>btw, the trick seems to be to keep the window active and hold the mouse
>button down for a 'long' click - at least thats what worked for me.
>
>taz wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I installed Oracle 8i on Solaris last night from home on my Red
>> Hat 5.2 linux system. It was quite slow to go from screen to screen
>> using the installer.
>> Today I am trying to use dbassist - but it is extremely slow, and
>> basically unusable. While I could use my sql scripts - I was quite
>> keen to use this tool.
>> I have an ADSL connection with typical download speeds of
>> 78KB/sec - although upload speeds are typically a lot slower
>> (10-15KB/sec) I did not expect this to be so poor?
>> Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing the slow down.
>> Basically I click on a button, e.g. Next for the next page and it takes
>> either many minutes - or hangs indefinitely unable to refresh. The
>> installer was not much better, but did get to the next screen
>> evenutally.
>>
>> thanks!
>>
>> Greg

I had a similar experience installing on a Linux box from my W98 workstation. It was horribly slow. dbassist performs equally badly. A mouse click on the W98 box takes many seconds to register. Judging from the blinking of my network lights, it seemed as though there was a ton of network traffic between the two boxes when none was required. I suspect it's Java or JRE related.

Anyone else?

ws

--
<< What if there were no hypothetical questions? >>