Alter tablespace add datafile file size error

From: Vaughan Jackson <vaughan_jackson_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 17:45:21 GMT

Hi,

I have been trying to add a second datafile to a tablespace using the following syntax:

SQL> alter tablespace IMETABLES
  2 add datafile '/data/OracleDatafiles/imetables2.dbf'   3 autoextend on
  4 next 1M
  5 maxsize 1500M
  6 /

However, I find that no matter what maxsize value I provide (even 100M), the datafile created keeps growing (at moment of creation), until it takes up ALL of the available diskspace. At this point, an error message appears, basically saying that no more space is left:

alter tablespace IMETABLES
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-19510: failed to set size of 578816 blocks for file "/data/OracleDatafiles/imetables2.dbf" (blocksize=4096) ORA-27059: skgfrsz: could not reduce file size SVR4 Error: 28: No space left on device
Additional information: 2
ORA-19502: write error on file "/data/OracleDatafiles/imetables2.dbf", blockno
578561 (blocksize=4096)
ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error
SVR4 Error: 25: Inappropriate ioctl for device Additional information: 578561

This message does not make sense for a number of reasons, including:

  1. there is over 2GB available, but I have limited the maxsize to 1500M;
  2. it says it has failed to set the size of a 578816 block file, whereas the OS is telling me that we have over 4M blocks available (different blocks?):

[VJ]<vjackson> scorpius:/data/OracleDatafiles df . /data (/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7 ): 4747446 blocks 469300 files

Other details: Oracle 8i, Solaris 2.7.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Thanks,

Vaughan Jackson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 09 2000 - 12:45:21 CDT