Re: Reading 100 rows at a time...

From: <sergey_s_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:17:43 GMT

In article <39E21B31.85CA59DB_at_Unforgetable.com>,   BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com wrote:
> sergey_s_at_my-deja.com wrote:
>
> > What's the best way to read through a result set 100 rows at a time?
> >
> > Say, I just want to examine the data in 100 row increments. Using
> > ROWNUM, I can do WHERE ROWNUM <= 100, WHERE ROWNUM <= 200, etc. But
> > this means starting from the beginning every time. So, pretty soon
 this
> > can get really slow. I found that WHERE ROWNUM BETWEEN 101 AND 200
> > comes back with 'no rows selected'. Is there another way of doing
 this?

> It all depends on what you are using for the client application. In
 Pro-C
> or OCI the process is extremely easy, In VB it is pretty difficult.
 What
> are you using?

Well, I am actually using PL/SQL. I have a big table and I would like to select the first 100 rows out of it and then the next 100, and then the next 100, and so on. I am hoping to reduce the processing time by reading, caching and operating on a chunk of 100 rows at a time.

Do you how to do that in PL/SQL?

Thanks!
Sergey

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Oct 09 2000 - 16:17:43 CDT