good sql and oracle book

From: <mcharon_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 06:27:34 GMT

 hello,
 are there any good sql and oracle books for beginners?

 I purchased a couple of books already, whihc I don't think are good.

 Both books tells me how to use dbms_outline.put_line but   do not explain where that function comes from.

I coun't get that function to display output to the screen but through dejanews, I found out that I had to include a statement 'set serveroutput on' in order to display to output.

None of my books mention this fact.

 So I am hoping that some one can recommend a book that throughly explains sql and oracle, so that I dont' run into the above problem and spend hours figuring it out.

--
thank you in advance

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.