Connect SQL Plus via personal install ???

From: Jerry <Jerry_at_nospam.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 16:03:44 -0400

The oracle help files are only written for brain surgeons. All I'm trying to do is connect to SQL Plus so I can run some test scripts that I wrote for school. No big deal, only you would think so from how oracle set this stuff up.

What goes in the user name, password and host string ? I tried system, manager and oracle8i, but it won't take it and gives the error ora-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

Why doesn't Oracle have a help section for this, from what I've searched on this is a DAILY question from people, but I have yet to find an answer in their help or doing internet searches.

How hard can it be ?! It should be pre-setup in the install ! Would appreciate ANY insight on this.

Thanks.

I am running it on Win98 release 8.1.5.0.0 Received on Sun Oct 08 2000 - 15:03:44 CDT