Re: Info on Archivelog

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 00:22:37 +0200

Answers embedded
Of course I will only provide 'some' information, as entire chapters of books have been written about this issue

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Clement Yuen" <clem_yuen_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:39de2cad_6_at_news.cadvision.com...
> Hi
>
> I am a newbie to oracle.
> Can anyone give me some information on archivelog?
>
> I would like to know if it effects performance and if it take tons of HD
> space?

When tuned properly archivelog does not affect performance at all. You can't even switch off the online redolog mechanism, as the essence of Oracle is all transactions are protected by redolog. The redolog write is the first to take place, allowing Oracle to piggyback transactions in your database. No general remarks can be made about how much disk space using archivelog will consume, as that completely depends on the type of database. However, disks are dirt cheap nowadays.