Re: Info on Archivelog

From: STiger2000 <stiger2000_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2000 22:05:25 GMT

To archivelog of not to archivelog ... that is the question ... and it is best answered by detemining business needs. If the database is a repository of easily recreatable information archive logging may not add much value. If it is a OLTP environment which holds your companies AR/AP/Payroll information, I would be hard pressed to understand how you could to without archive logging. Now to the questions at hand:
performance: You're increasing disk I/Os (and adding at least one background process), so, yes, there is a performance hit. Size your system appropriately. Buy more disks, memory, faster processors if you're up against the performance wall (or upgrade the entire system). HD space: If you have a system in production today, you can caluclate the amount on hard drive space needed by checking your alert log file and simply counting the number of redo log switches. Figure every one will generate an archive log equivalent in size to your redo log. Then determine the life of those files on disk (one day ... one week ... whatever), and multiply. It is suggested that you keep the archive logs on a disk all by themselves, so figure you're going to have to buy another disk, anyhow. Newer versions of Oracle allow you to 'mirror' the output of the ARCH process. If you choose to do so, that is that much more disk space. You can perform some tricks at saving disk space, like compressing old archive logs ... but that costs CPU cycles... which you may not have to burn.

jc
http://www.networkessentials.com/certified/ocp

In article <39de2cad_6_at_news.cadvision.com>,   "Clement Yuen" <clem_yuen_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a newbie to oracle.
> Can anyone give me some information on archivelog?
>
> I would like to know if it effects performance and if it take tons of
 HD
> space?
>
> Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Clem:)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Oct 06 2000 - 17:05:25 CDT