Re: NLS problem with Oracle7

From: Jaroslaw Lubczynski <eljot_at_elkomtech.com.pl>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 11:21:38 +0200

U¿ytkownik "Grzegorz Dryl" <Grzegorz.Dryl_at_crt.tpsa.pl> napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news:8rjofk$fkn$1_at_news.tpi.pl...
> > I did (from my application, it's something like SQL*PLUS):
> >
> > ALTER SESSION SET NLS_TERRITORY=poland;
> > ALTER SESSION SET NLS_LANGUAGE=polish;
>
> try to set NLS_NCHAR = EE8ISO8859P2 or
> NLS_LANG=POLISH_POLAND.EE8ISO8859P2

environment variable NLS_CHAR has already been set there is no change after setting NLS_NCHAR

And what about reading environment variables??? I thought PRO*C libraries
> > read neccessary environment themselves (such as NLS_LANG)
>

> ????

I meant that one of library functions uses charset part of NLS_LANG env. var. (that is 'EE8ISO8859P2' from 'POLISH_POLAND.EE8ISO8859P2') because there is no way to set it using ALTER SESSION! Maybe I should explicitely call such a function within my application. But which one??? (and when - before or after CONNECT).

By the way, the same app running under WinNT using Oracle 8.0.5 with Pro*C 8.0.4 works perfectly with Polish charset without setting any env var or altering session.

And once more: Are ALTER SESSION parameters and env var values case insensitive? That means whether

    ALTER SESSION SET NLS_TERRITORY=poland; and

    ALTER SESSION SET NLS_TERRITORY=POLAND; are equivalent?

and whether (under UNIX!)

   NLS_LANG=polish_poland.ee8iso8859p2
is equivalent to

   NLS_LANG=POLISH_POLAND.EE8ISO8859P2 I haven't found any informations about it in docs, so I'm using (like in docs) UPPERCASE version - just in case.

    Jarek Lubczynski Received on Fri Oct 06 2000 - 04:21:38 CDT