How did Oracle get started?

From: Joe Morris <jolomo_at_og1.olagrande.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 19:08:56 +0000 (UTC)

This is one company I don't know about the early days. Was it started as a university research project or something? It was in the 1970's so I'm guessing it was originally coded for mainframes. True?

Did they start their codebase from scratch or buy from somebody else? I'm guessing Ellison was around in those days, who else?

What was the first Unix it was ported to?

Just curious, thanks for any information

--
  Joe Morris, SysAdmin and Not Insane
  Atlanta stories: http://www.olagrande.net/users/jolomo/atlanta.html