Re: Possible to call a procedure/function via ODBC?

From: Alexander Medvedev <a.medvedev_at_globalone.ru>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 15:47:09 +0400

Ronin wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I hope this isn't too foolish a question...
>
> Is it possible to call a database procedure/function that resides in
> the Oracle Database via ODBC? I know you can submit queries with
> ODBC, but I haven't been able to find documentation that indicates how
> to call a procedure.
>
> I wanted to check with the knowlege pool before I continued to bang my
> head against the wall...
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> -R

Hi

If you can find a direct way - it will be better to use it, but if no - you can try an indirect way, such as
create a dummy view and instead of insert trigger to invoke the stored procedure you need. Otherwise
you can use a table instead of the view for the same purpose. To retrieve the stored procedure
output one can make a package with proper variables to store this procedure responce and a few
functions (pragma restrict_references with WNDS and WNPS is a must) to retrieve their values
through a technical view (select this functions from dual). The output values of your stored procedure
you can pass to the apropriate package variables by the procedure itself or by the trigger have invoked
this procedure just after invocation. Don't forget to clear this package variables at the beginning of the trigger.

This will work with all ODBC drivers and with most Oracle Server versions (platform independent).

I hope this may help.

Regards, Alexander Medvedev Received on Thu Oct 05 2000 - 06:47:09 CDT